D51 kids participate in field-to-fork movement

Grand Junction, CO – More than a hundred students from Chatfield and Pomona elementary schools will take the first step in getting vegetables and fruits from the land to their lunch trays as they plant seeds from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 9, 2017, at the Colorado State University Western Colorado Research Center at 3168 B ½ Road.

Students planting seeds on three acres at the research center specifically designated for a partnership between Colorado State University, School District 51, Western Colorado Community College, and Food Bank of the Rockies will see the fruits (and vegetables) of their labors when the produce is ready to eat.

“We hope later in the fall to bring some of these kids out again to harvest the fruits and vegetables and learn about nutrition,” said Amanda McQuade, community alliance program coordinator for the Colorado State University Western Colorado Research Center.

Pomona third-graders and Chatfield fifth-graders will plant seeds that will grow into cucumbers, melons, butternut squash, and other varieties that School District 51 does not currently purchase locally. About 70 percent of the produce will go to Food Bank of the Rockies and most of the remaining 30 percent will end up in School District 51 cafeterias or on the Lunch Lizard mobile school meal truck, with the remainder going to Colorado Mesa University/WCCC food service provider Sodexo.